Motor Insurers Bureau

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) is a government backed organisation which was set up in 1946 to compensate victims of negligent untraced and uninsured drivers.

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident with any of the following motorists, you are entitled to pursue a claim for compensation:

  • Uninsured Driver or Uninsured Vehicle
  • Untraced Drivers
  • Foreign registered vehicle

Unfortunately, post Brexit, the MIB is no longer able to consider claims relating to accidents caused by an uninsured or hit and run drivers abroad.

The MIB will consider claims for personal injury and associated financial losses, for example, loss of earnings, medical treatment, travel expenses, etc

The term Personal Injury not only covers physical injuries but also psychological injuries such as travel anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Time Limits

Uninsured Driver Claims

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident with an uninsured driver, you will have 3 years from the date of your accident in which to make a claim.

Untraced Driver Claims

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident with an Untraced Driver, you only have 2 years from the date of your accident in which to lodge a claim with the MIB.

Reporting your accident

A further requirement of making a claim through the MIB in relation to an untraced driver is that you must report your accident to the police as soon as is reasonably practicable and we would recommend that you do so within 14 days of your accident.

Types of Claims the MIB will consider:

  • Cars and vans
  • Bicycles
  • Motorbikes
  • HGV wagons
  • Pedestrians hit by an uninsured or untraced driver
  • Passengers and drivers

Making a claim – Uninsured Driver

A claim against an uninsured driver must be lodged with the MIB within 3 years of your accident. The MIB will make enquiries into the circumstances surrounding your accident and will investigate whether the vehicle and / or driver responsible for your accident had any insurance cover on their vehicle. On occasion the MIB will establish that the vehicle itself had a valid policy of insurance but the driver was not insured to drive the vehicle that caused the collision. If the MIB establish that the vehicle that hit you had a valid policy of insurance they may suggest that the relevant insurer deals with your claim.

It is important to keep as many details as possible about your accident including weather conditions, time of accident, witness details, etc.

Following the filing of a claim, the MIB will consider the evidence available and will make a decision on whether they are going to deal with your claim. 

If the MIB agree to deal with your claim under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement Scheme, we will arrange to have you medically examined by a medico – legal expert who is fully accredited to prepare medical reports for personal injury claims.

Making a Claim – Untraced Driver

If the MIB agree to deal with your claim under the Untraced Drivers Agreement Scheme, they will arrange a medical appointment on your behalf to see a medico – legal expert.

The MIB will also write to the police for a copy of the police report.

Following review of all of the evidence available, the MIB will make a decision as to whether they are prepared to deal with your claim and award you compensation for your injuries and financial losses.


The level of compensation awarded will be determined by the medical evidence obtained in your case, evidence available to support a claim for loss of earnings and any other evidence you may have to support your accident – related financial losses. The medical evidence obtained in your case will confirm the nature and extent of your injuries and the medical expert will provide an opinion and prognosis for your future recovery.

If the MIB have agreed to deal with your claim, following receipt of medical evidence and evidence in support of your financial losses, they will make an Offer in settlement to you. We will advise you upon the suitability or otherwise of the Offer received. If we are of the view that the Offer is too low, we will recommend seeking an increased Offer to accurately reflect your losses.

We are a dedicated firm of solicitors specialising in personal injury and road traffic accident claims. We offer practical advice and guidance on all aspects of personal injury claims, whether you have been involved in a road traffic accident, motorbike / cycling accident, pedestrian accident, accident at work or slip, trip or fall accident.

If you need assistance contact us on [email protected] or call 0330 – 332 – 4844 for a no– obligation discussion and expert legal advice.